Friday, February 9, 2007

Happy Volunteering!!!



Hi Y'all. This is what happens when you sometimes get sloppy at a job.
I got a kick out of it when it first happened, threatening to sue the organization, and one of the staff members, trying to get paid etc all in jest of course, and really trying not to scream and curse and yell and snap.

As some of you know that I volunteer at the seed for the homeless people every saturday since November last year. And this Saturday, 2nd of February, was no ordinary Saturday as I was later to learn that morning.
I volunteer from 9-1pm and hence in charge of cleaning after breakfast and making lunch and serving it.

We were making some frozen fries in the oven, and this seemed like an easy job compared to other jobs I have done there. when they were done I went right on ahead cleaning the racks in the massive oven they have over there. I had to carry them one at a time of course to avoid any injury or burns. I had placed 5 racks successfully on the counter ready to be scrubbed. Then one of the female helpers thought it would be a wise idea to move them, so I offered my assistance and proceeded to carry all 5 of them at once, trying to get some appreciation from the female helper. The idea was brilliant but the plan flawed, I misscalculated and picked them up towards the front a bit, and so they were a little off centered and instincively I tried to center them with my arm, then I realized why my fingers werent burning, and my arm sizzling. Of course the oven mitts are to blame cause they didn't cover my arms.
Now I have a 6.7inch mark on my arm to last me a life time. I think this will be a great story to tell my grandchildren, with that said let me get on that.

No comments: